HOW TO FADE THE FRONT DOOR FRENZY!
Does this sound familiar?
All is calm in the house…. then DING DONG!!!!
Cue the dog, racing to the door, barking then jumping all over the unsuspecting visitor… Let’s change that!
Take a (cute) a jar with a lid and fill it with SMALL and DELICIOUS treats (I love freeze dried meat for this). Put the container near the front door, but out of reach of your dog!
When the doorbell sounds, DON’T ANSWER the door (yet!)
Instead, go straight to treat container, and grab a handful (A BIG ONE for those fast eaters!) Let your dog have a good sniff, then roll the treats away from the door. As your pup vacuums them up, you can open the door and say hi to your visitor!
Get ready with another handful if need be 😉
If your dog chooses your guest over the food – time to modify:
• Use YUMMIER food (pick something more irresistible – see Taste Test below!)
• Give dog a BETTER sniff before rolling, and
• Roll food CLOSER – imagine the food magnet has to be stronger than the visitor magnet!
3. WILD BEAST AT THE DOOR?
• Then you need to this ‘OFF DUTY’ hack! Simply set up a crate or baby-gated area (away from the entryway).
• DON’T ANSWER the door! Instead, lead your pup to the zone & give them something RIDICULOUSLY irresistible (think marrow bone/bully stick/super-stuffed Kong etc.) to ‘meditate on’ while the peeps pour in! When (and ONLY when!) the excitement starts to dip, can you release the beast. 😉